You come home from work. As soon as you open the door, your dog jumps on you and… licks you to say hello! However, your happy face can instantly turn into a face of displeasure. The reason ? The bad smell from his mouth. To avoid this situation, There are a few homemade dog bad breath remedies that can help. Let’s see what they are.
The most effective home remedies for canine halitosis
We know that our love for our animals is unconditional, whether or not they suffer from halitosis. However, we must pay attention to this problem. Not only for our own feelings, but also for their own health. Bad breath indicates that the dog has an excessive amount of bacteria in its mouth, which can lead to problems in the digestive tract.
By improving dental hygiene, we will prevent possible ailments. Sometimes it is not necessary to spend a lot of money on dental cleanings or specific products. There are home remedies that can give good results. But first make sure your dog is in good health by taking him for a check-up with your regular veterinarian.
Solutions to keep your dog’s breath fresh
There are several natural and easily accessible options to combat halitosis in your pet. For example :
- Raw bones. When the dog gnaws on fleshy bones, these act like sandpaper, preventing food from passing between his teeth. They are also a good source of calcium.
- With a carrot you will get similar results to the bone. This vegetable also has excellent properties: carrots for dogs.
- Parsley. It is an essential plant to ensure fresh breath. You can cut it into small pieces and mix it with its food, or prepare infusions with its leaves. If he does not take it himself, another option is to make a spray and spray his mouth with this preparation.
- Apple cider vinegar. This product neutralizes the bad smell. The ideal is to put a few drops in your daily diet. If you start with small amounts, it will quickly get used to the taste. As you can see, dental hygiene is closely linked to diet. In fact, it is not only important to use these solutions for bad breath. You should also pay attention to your dog’s diet and eating habits, as this could be the source of the problem.
- The right diet for pleasant breath
A healthy diet is the key to avoiding halitosis. So, if you are feeding your dog, try to choose quality food. The wrong type of product causes scale buildup, which leads to the unpleasant odor we want to avoid. Making changes to your dog’s diet can be a good solution. In these cases, the raw diet (BARF) is highly recommended. Choose natural foods and avoid processed foods.
Your canine companion will appreciate it. On the other hand, it is important to ensure that it is well hydrated. A dog should drink plenty of fluids, which will help clear their mouth of debris. As for the food bowl, make sure it is clean and free of food debris. Another recommendation is to make sure your dog doesn’t eat bad food. This can not only cause bad breath, but also digestive problems.
- The importance of good dental hygiene
Last but not least, dental cleanliness helps… a lot! It is best to brush your dog’s teeth daily. If this is not possible, try to do it as often as possible. A good way is to establish this routine two or three times a week. This way, your dog will gradually get used to it.
As for the toothbrush, you can use a normal toothbrush or do it with your own fingers. With ½ tablespoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of water, you can make your own homemade toothpaste. It has a very powerful effect. You can even add a pinch of parsley to make it more effective.
The truth is that there is no magic bullet for bad breath, but rather a set of habits that help improve it. The secret is consistency and establishing healthy routines. At home, how do you manage your dog’s dental hygiene, and have you ever had any of these “death kisses” from your pet?