The former French Formula 1 driver Jean Alesi, who will be tried in correctional in 2023 for having blown up the window of the office of a former companion of his sister, disputes everything “family conflict” with the latter, according to his lawyer.
The architect whose office window was damaged “wasn’t his brother-in-law” but “a former boyfriend of her sister” from which she had separated “conflict free” for two years, told AFP Thibault de Montbrial, Jean Alesi’s lawyer. “It’s absolutely not a family conflict”he insisted, specifying that this former boyfriend of his sister and Jean Alesi were “on cordial and non-confrontational terms”.
The former Ferrari driver had explained to the investigators that he only wanted to do “a bad joke” to the architect. The latter, for his part, said he did not have “no worries” with Jean Alesi, but nevertheless filed a complaint for the degradation of his window.
The facts occurred Sunday evening in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon (Gard), where the 57-year-old ex-pilot resides. The police had been called around 10:00 p.m. by the neighborhood, worried by the sound of an explosion. Thanks to the plate number noted by a neighbor, the police were able to determine that the vehicle seen on the spot before driving away with all lights off belonged to José Alesi, the brother of the ex-pilot, who was arrested.
The next day, Jean Alesi went to the police station in Avignon (Vaucluse), where he cleared his brother, explaining that it was he who was in the car, with his son and a friend of his. this. He also stated that he himself had “stuck a ‘big firework bought in Italy’ in the frame of a window of the architect’s office of his brother-in-law”without imagining that it would burst, explained the deputy prosecutor of Nîmes, Antoine Wolff.
“His son has absolutely nothing to do with what he did”added Thibault de Montbrial, stressing that neither the latter nor his friend present in the car knew what Jean Alesi was going to do when he asked his son, who was driving, to stop.
John Alesi “was surprised by the violence of the explosion” and “didn’t think it was going to blow the window”he continued: “It’s a stupid, childish and unwelcome impulse, but which he came up with on his own and which he alone executed“, according to the lawyer.
The former Ferrari driver will be tried in 2023 in Nîmes “for damage to the property of others by a means dangerous for people, an act committed in the context of a family dispute”according to the prosecution of Nîmes, while his son will be prosecuted for complicity in this same affair.